As a yoga instructor and blogger, I have to answer a lot of questions regarding yoga and one of the common topics is yoga really for weight loss? Or how can I lose weight doing yoga? Okay, yes you can lose weight doing yoga. That’s natural and way better than any other system which is available in this world. I will talk about how yoga and weight loss works and will talk about the best yoga poses for weight loss.
According to an article, 25% of the North American population is obese or has problems of overweight, according to a study carried out last year by a group of researchers from the Imperial College of London in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO)
The study, which was published in the scientific journal The Lancet , compared the body mass of 20 million men and women from 186 countries between 1975 and 2014, has concluded that 641 million people in the world, that is, 13% of the world population has weight problems.
Fast food, saturated fats, precooked dishes are worse and less healthily. We are becoming more sedentary: one adult of two does not practice any physical activity.
The WHO recommends carrying out a physical activity equivalent to 10,000 steps a day, but 75% of North American does not do that at all. What is more disturbing is that the youngest are the first victims of this inactivity.
Thus, 18-24 years practice less physical activities than 55-64 years. More work in the office, more leisure-focused on screens, more motorized trips … Evolution is not always for the best.
Therefore, excess fat can have important consequences and cause many pathologies: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, joint problems, respiratory problems, depression or cancer of various types, especially liver, uterus or breast.
Although obesity does not increase significantly in Spain, it remains a serious health problem.
How to lose weight and how to lose weight, when we do not like sports? Practicing yoga can represent a good alternative to lose leg volume, lose weight and achieve an ideal weight.
Do you need to lose weight?
Are you angry with your weight?
In North America, there are more and more people with obesity problems, which also affects children more and more.
Excess fat mass can have important consequences and cause numerous pathologies: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, joint problems, respiratory problems, depression or cancers of various types, mainly of the liver, uterus or breast.
It is an essential question that must be considered before putting on a regime.
Do you feel like losing weight or do you need to lose fat?
Is not the same! In effect, the first alternative is probably influenced by the dictates of society. We look fat with respect to the image that we see reflected in the mirror and in comparison to the magazine models.
The second alternative depends more on a serious health problem. We have to lose weight because our health is in danger.
To get an idea, it is important to calculate our BMI, Body Mass Index. There are webs that allow you to quickly calculate it by setting the size and weight.
This is the official classification of the WHO (World Health Organization):
- Less than 16: anorexia or malnutrition
- Between 16.5 and 18.5: thinness
- Between 18.5 and 25 : normal corpulence
- Between 25 and 30: overweight
- Between 30 and 35: moderate obesity (class 1)
- Between 35 and 40: high obesity (class 2)
- Over 40: morbid obesity (class 3)
If a BMI is between 18.5 and 25, corpulence is normal. There is no need to launch a draconian regime if we want to lose three or four kilos “others”. Practicing a physical activity keeps you in good shape!
If the BMI is higher than 25 , it is a more or less important overweight. Consulting with a doctor and/or nutritionist is the best way to know where this overweight comes from and how to remedy it. Overweight can have several causes:
- A diet too fat: a nutrition counselor can give you the advice to reduce fat intake and improve the quality of your diet,
- Stress : yoga can help you relax so you do not store bad fats and eliminate calories,
- Lack of physical exercise and a too sedentary life : walking, running, doing yoga … There are many solutions to reduce fat mass.
Discover how How yoga can help me tone up .
Can you lose weight doing yoga?
What if we concentrated on ourselves, instead of comparing ourselves with unreal images?
So, does yoga help you lose the extra pounds?
YES! In general!
In effect, yoga consists of a chain of physical postures (asana) more or less tonic and at a more or less rapid pace. So of course, let’s move, tone and strengthen muscles. Yoga can help you recover the line or maintain it.
When you want to lose weight, there is a very important aspect: enjoy! If you do not enjoy doing yoga, you will not be motivated, you will go reluctantly and therefore run the risk of not reaching your goal of losing weight.
Yoga helps to reaffirm and sculpt your body. It can be very useful to have a flat stomach. But yoga is much more than a simple physical exercise.
If a person has overweight problems, practicing yoga alone will not be enough. It will take a more cardio activity to burn the accumulated fat. But it can help you relax and accept yourself by working on the mental aspect of yoga.
To lose more than 10 kg, it is important to be followed by a professional. The practice of yoga can help a lot as a complement to a more intense physical activity.
Yoga will not make you lose weight fast, but its benefits are more than proven to lose belly fat, work the abdominal, reduce cellulite or strengthen the muscles.
Do you know that yoga is better than jogging?
What yoga style to choose?
There are several styles of yoga. All types of yoga are based on breathing and harmony between body and mind.
But if you are not inspired by the slow aspect that yoga often inspires, there are more dynamic styles such as Ashtanga or Vinyasa that are particularly effective in helping you burn calories and lose weight.
These forms of yoga also help to eliminate accumulated toxins and to listen better to our own body and its signs of hunger and satiety.
In addition, there are many yoga postures that regulate the activity of the adrenal glands and the thyroid gland that help regulate our body.
We can also try the Bikram Yoga if it is not prevented by any contraindication. It involves practicing hatha yoga (the most common form) in a room at 40º and with a humidity of 40% in order to facilitate the elimination of toxins.
Bikram classes usually last 1h30 and consist of a series of 26 poses and two breathing exercises. It is mandatory to consult a doctor before embarking on practicing this form of yoga.
Also, take a look at our article on how to start yoga at home without any instructor.
Best yoga poses for weight loss
Associated with healthy living hygiene, essentially composed of fruits and vegetables, fiber and few carbohydrates, yoga can lose weight and especially lose belly fat.
Beware of your general health before you start doing the exercises below. In case of doubts, resort to a yoga professional who will know how to advise you and who will make you do the exercises without risk of injury.
Here you have some exercises focused particularly on the belly.
The pose of the Cobra (Bhujang Asana)
This position strengthens the abdominals and reduces abdominal fat. It also strengthens the spine and the back.
- Lie on your stomach, with your legs stretched out,
- Place the palms of the hands on the floor shoulder-width apart,
- Inspiring and lifting the belly slowly,
- Hold the position two full breaths,
- Lowering the whole body to the floor on expiration,
- Repeat 5 times resting 15 seconds between each repetition.
The posture of the bow (Dhanurasana)
This position reinforces the abdominal. Activates the digestive system and is a good stretch for the back.
- Lie on your belly, legs extended,
- Bend your knees and hold your heels with both hands,
- Lift your head in the inspiration facing forward so as not to hurt yourself in the neck and lift your legs as much as possible,
- Hold this position two full breaths breathing normally,
- Bring the body to the initial position in the expiration,
- Repeat 5 times with a rest period of 15 seconds between each repetition.
The position of the ship (Naukasana)
One of the best positions to have a flat abdomen. Beneficial also for the stomach, strengthens the back and legs.
- Lie on your back,
- When inspiring, lift both legs straight,
- To take the legs with the hands by the twins (or the knees if it is too difficult)
- Keep your back straight and your abs contracted to avoid hurting yourself,
- Breathe normally and maintain the position two full breaths,
- On expiration, return to the initial position,
- Repeat 5 times with a pause of 15 seconds between each repetition.
The iron (Kumbhakasana)
The best position to have a flat stomach and tone the entire body. Tone arms, shoulders, back, buttocks and legs!
- Lie on your belly,
- Place your hands at shoulder height and rise,
- The hands should be aligned at the height of the shoulders, the body has to form a straight line from the crown to the tips of the feet,
- Be careful not to arch your back,
- Maintain the position as long as possible breathing normally,
- Move down from the position when it expires.
The posture of the release of winds (Pavanamuktasana)
This position allows to alleviate back pain and regulate the level of acidity of the stomach. It allows toning the abdomen and hips.
- Lie down with your back,
- Fold the knees and bring them to the chest on expiration,
- Press on your abdomen with your legs,
- In the expiration, raising the head to try to touch the knees with the chin, without forcing the cervicals, it is the upper part of the back that makes the effort,
- Breathe deeply and maintain your pose for two full breaths,
- Resume the initial position in the expiration,
- Repeat 5 times with a pause of 15 seconds between each repetition.
With a regular practice of these five positions, you will quickly see the results.
A healthy spirit in a healthy body: yoga to lose weight
Losing weight quickly is not the only advantage of practicing yoga: you will feel liberated!
The benefits of yoga are very numerous (and not just to keep the line):
- Gain elasticity
- Manage your stress
- Learning to meditate
- Enjoy an activity at home
- Improve your concentration
Lose weight thanks to anti-stress yoga
Yoga helps manage stress. Although stress takes away the appetite of some, it causes the opposite effect to others. When stressed, they eat more and therefore get fat. The regular practice of any form of yoga helps to reduce the level of stress. By being more relaxed, the need to snack between meals to evacuate excess stress decreases.
Yoga also allows improving the quality of sleep, which is closely linked to stress. A stressed person sleeps worse. Some meditation exercises and yoga before sleep allow to reduce the level of stress and thus improve the quality of sleep. It will cost us less to sleep, we will not wake up in the middle of the night and when the alarm goes off, we will be rested.
Harmony as a goal
Beyond a sport, yoga is first and foremost a philosophy of life: introducing it into our routine can change things a lot. We will feel better physically and mentally. When you try yoga, you will integrate it into your life. You’ll see, no matter how much you think “meditation is not for me”, “yoga is too slow, I need to vent” or “I do not like that link with the spiritual”, we usually adopt all facets little by little of yoga, as long as you are initiated correctly.
We seek thus the harmony between body and mind. Even if you have more than 10 kilos to lose, you will see that after some yoga sessions, those kilos that bother you will seem more superfluous. The practice of yoga is directed to competition, all teachers will tell you: neither with others nor with yourself. The ultimate goal is not to make all the positions, lose X kilos or exceed your limits, the goal is to make peace with yourself to live better.
Go to a personal trainer specialized in yoga to lose weight
Of course, you can do yoga at home, without help from anyone, but when you start, sometimes you need a little push to be motivated.
Why a coach specialized in yoga?
Going to a yoga coach can be an excellent solution if you need:
- Lose belly,
- Reduce thighs,
- Reduce arms,
- Reduce hips,
- Affirming glutes,
- Reduce holsters,
- Losing cellulite
The advantage of a personal trainer is, above all, that in addition to yoga, you have another training. If you consider that you need more physical exercises more to lose weight quickly, you can give advice and make you jump the rope, cardio, muscle, pilates or muscle reinforcement as a complement to yoga.
A personal trainer specialized in yoga will have more knowledge of metabolism and an open mind with respect to other sports than an ordinary coach. For this reason, we recommend looking for both competences in the same person.
Adopt a healthy diet
We also advise you to choose a personal trainer who has knowledge in nutrition. You can thus give you tips to lose weight thanks to the power with respect to:
- The daily calories that you should ingest,
- The high-fat foods that you should avoid,
- An effective snack to satisfy you, etc.
In addition to making a sports program to measure, you can prepare a slimming program adapted to have a body adapted to your own criteria.
The coach as a source of motivation
A coach is also a good way to motivate yourself. At home, on our own, we tend to abandon good resolutions quickly, while with a teacher who gives you yoga class once or twice a week, you can not leave! You will have to do the exercises that I send you.
Some supplementary tips
- Green tea is an excellent antioxidant
- Vegetables have a low glycemic index,
- Meal substitutes are not advisable: they are usually rich in sugar or salt,
- White meat has more calories than red meat,
- Drinking a lot of water takes away hunger,
- Avoid quick sugars in the morning and opt instead for salty and foods such as eggs and wholemeal bread.
The diets are forbidden! Protein-rich diet, Dukan, cabbage soup … None have been shown to be effective and produce the yo-yo effect. The key is a balanced diet, neither too rich nor too poor and the practice of regular physical activity to be fit.
Ask our personal trainers of online yoga classes, they will update you!
- There is no need to throw yourself to do all the diets of the world to lose weight. Privilege a healthy and varied diet and exercise is usually enough to stay fit and maintain your weight.
- Yoga is not a magical practice to lose weight but it is useful to tone the body and muscle it harmoniously.
- Be careful not to hurt yourself when performing the positions we propose. Do not hesitate to look for tutorials on YouTube or ask our Super Teachers to give you a yoga class. They are available throughout Spain and move to your home or place of work.
Would you like to know How energy bracelets keep you positive all the time? Read our article!